- Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board of the newly founded Climate Change and Development Research Center (CCRD/COMSATS) Islamabad/Pakistan
- Active service as an expert on national and international panels for policy advice on Climate and Global Change issues, e.g. for the Council of Europe, German Technical Cooperation, European Union, Portugese Parliament, German Foreign Office, etc.
- Awarded with the renowned CleanTechMedia price for the foundation of the Climate Media Factory, an innovative media lab and spin-off of PIK and Potsdam Film University.
- Research interests: e.g. urban systems analysis, model development, e.g. for an assessment of national transition pathways to sustainability, analyses of trade-offs and synergies in decision making related to climate change
- Editor and Editorial Board Member of scientific journals, e.g. PlosOne, Regional Env. Change.
- Coordinator of EU-funded research projects, like EUCALC, RAMSES & TESS
- Author of more than 100 scientific journal articles and book chapters