The Policy Conference of the EU Sustainable Energy Week is the biggest European conference dedicated to renewables and efficient energy use in Europe. The Policy Conference hosts a number of sessions – interactive meetings, each lasting 1.5 hours (90 minutes) – that focus on sustainable energy issues and debate new policy developments, best practices and new ideas.
The Policy Conference will be held on 23-25 June 2020 in Brussels, in the European Commission’s Charlemagne and Berlaymont buildings, and the Residence Palace.
Successful applicants will receive free access to fully equipped meeting rooms and benefit from the central event's logistics (i.e. registration system, welcoming of participants, catering, and web streaming services). There are no restrictions on the format of the session, however, organisers must adhere to principles of gender balance, plurality of opinion and interactivity keeping into consideration the rooms allocated.
All session organisers are fully responsible for the organisation and promotion of their event and must comply with the guidelines provided by the organising team of the EU Sustainable Energy Week.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The call for contributions to host a session at the Policy Conference of the EU Sustainable Energy Week 2020 is open to:
- representatives of EU institutions, including inter-institutional bodies;
- stakeholders which fulfil the following criteria:
- have a mandate to work as multipliers using a widespread network of contacts across Europe;
- have a mandate to contribute to the development and implementation of sustainable energy policy in Europe.
Examples of eligible types of organisations include:
- international organisations;
- university associations
- networks of national, regional/local authorities, agencies, or other public bodies;
- industry or professional associations;
- NGOs working in the field of sustainable development;
- consumer associations/citizens' groups.
Professional event organisers or businesses aiming to promote specific products or services are not eligible.
Sessions should be free of commercial interest.
PREPARING YOUR APPLICATION
The application form allows for only one session proposal at a time.
- A minimum of two organisations is required to submit a proposal.
Find your partnering organisation(s) well in advance to submit a joint application.
- Think carefully about what you wish to achieve by hosting a session at the Policy Conference.
Keep your objectives in mind and fill in the application form as clearly as possible.
- You must ensure gender balance and diversity at your event.
Propose a list of speakers that is gender balanced and consists of no more than six speakers, including the moderator. Involve youth organisations whenever it is appropriate.
- The Policy Conference is a platform for fruitful exchange on sustainable energy issues.
Be interactive: at the very least allocate sufficient time – a minimum of 15 minutes – to a Q&A session with the audience.
- Make sure that your draft agenda follows the criteria set forth in the guidelines.
Focus on fine-tuning the agenda and highlight the relevance of each speaker.
- An organisation can apply for a maximum of two sessions, in order to ensure a diversity in the sessions
Please see last year’s sessions.
Proposals to host a session at the Policy Conference will be evaluated by a selection panel, comprising European Commission officials. The panel will take into account the information provided in the application form, with specific attention given to the following:
- Concept and focus
- Relevance of the topic (content)
- Quality of the agenda
1. Concept and focus
What is the purpose of the event?
What is it designed to achieve?
What are the target groups?
Does the event format include interactive elements?
Who will chair the event, and how will this be done?
2. Relevance of the topic (content):
How does the content of the proposed event fit with the EU sustainable energy policy agenda and the activities needed to deliver the 2030 and 2050 targets?
3. Quality of the agenda
- Profile of the speakers
- Relevance of the content/speakers (max six); gender balance, diversity (including youth representation when appropriate) within the panel
- How far advanced are the plans? (speakers confirmed/pending)
The Selection Committee reserves the right to group applications and propose to merge session ideas. If so notified, sessions organisers will have 3 days to agree on the details of their joint participation.
DEADLINE AND NEXT STEPS
The deadline for applications is at 23.59 CET on 20 JANUARY 2020. Please note that late submissions will not be accepted. You will be informed of the results at the end of February 2020.
If selected, you are expected to promote your session and carefully curate its content, including submitting your session description, technical requirements and any other information/requests on time. will also be asked to prepare a summary document of conclusions drawn during your session (template provided).
The failure to meet deadlines could result in repercussions, such as removal from the Policy Conference.
HOW TO CONTACT THE EUSEW SECRETARIAT?
Should you have any questions about the Policy Conference sessions, please do not hesitate to contact the EUSEW Secretariat at email@example.com.